Our History

  • Taysec’s history dates back to 1947 when Taylor Woodrow (a small Blackpool house-builder formed in Britain, 1921) was established in the Gold Coast after its founder Frank Taylor accepted an invitation from the United Africa Company to take over their construction programme in West Africa. The company grew by leaps and bounds and by Independence, 1957, Taylor Woodrow was Gold Coast’s leading contractor, having played a major role in implementing Government construction programmes such as the Bank of the Gold Coast (Bank of Ghana), the Ambassador Hotel, Kingsway Stores and Accra Town Roads Construction.

    In 1977, there was a strategic re-engineering leading to a joint venture partnership between Taylor Woodrow and the Social Security Bank to create Ghana’s home-grown construction giant-Taysec Construction Limited. This new partnership saw to transform residential and commercial construction nationwide. By 1993 Taysec Construction Limited was a clear leader in the commercial building sector in Ghana. Local knowledge and the availability of Taylor Woodrow’s international resources enabled the company to offer clients expert services.

    After a merger between Taylor Woodrow and Taylor Wimpey UK, in 2008, Taylor Woodrow’s African partnership, Taysec Construction was given greater independence and in April, 2009 divested to the management team in Ghana. The company became simply TAYSEC, with 3 main subsidiaries- Taysec Construction, Taysec Homes and Taysec Facilities Management.

    This was a major milestone in the company’s development. Several years down the line, the company is now 100% Ghanaian owned and still one of Ghana’s construction giants. We have progressed from being a traditional builder to an entrepreneur, developer and provider of professional services. The whole corporate strategy has been transformed to respond to the realities of the construction market in emergent times. TAYSEC’s track record is highly visible in a nationwide series of landmarks which began with the Takoradi Harbour by Taylor Woodrow in 1949.